Monday, January 10, 2011

Winter in Westchester

The more north you go in Westchester, the less sidewalks there are.  I live on one of the highest hills in Westchester.  There is a cluster of houses on my hill that form two connected loops.  One can see for miles around, at the valley below us, a lake of shimmering blue, clouds and trees that extend as far as the eye can see.  There are no sidewalks on my hill, the houses are on one to twenty acre lots.   We have a Nature Sanctuary with hundreds of acres of forest behind us.  The houses have front gardens with open lawns and trees. 

I love walking on my hill, looking at the views, enjoying the pure, white snow on peoples' lawns and on the tree limbs of the forest behind.  It's a bright, white, winter world.  Today, was warm in the afternoon, in the mid 30s.  With a scarf and hat, the clear, bright winter light, and the bright blue sky , the glittering snow made everything look clean and fresh.  Breathtaking.  I love winter where there are no sidewalks.  Just land overlooking a valley.  I just wanted to keep on walking, all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment